Liechtenstein has special regulations, for entry and settlement.


The following texts are not legally binding, as many points are unmentioned or no longer 100% precise due to simplification.

    Entry requirements

    In order to enter Liechtenstein, foreign persons need a valid travel document.

    Persons from the European Economic Area (EEA) or from Switzerland can enter Liechtenstein with a valid identity card or a valid passport. Third-country nationals are persons who are not from the EEA or Switzerland.
    They need a valid passport and, if necessary, a visa to enter Liechtenstein.

    If you want to stay longer than 90 days in Liechtenstein, you need a permit.


      To travel to Liechtenstein, people from some countries need a permit - a visa. A visa is usually a sticker in the passport.
      Persons requiring a visa can usually submit an application for a visa to the Swiss representation (embassy, consulate general).
      This application must be submitted in good time before the planned entry, and in principle at the place of residence abroad.
      A decision on the application is usually made at the Swiss representation.

      Further information can be found here:

      Residence Permit (B)

      A foreign person needs a residence permit if he or she wants to live in Liechtenstein. An application for a residence permit must be submitted to the Foreigners and Passport Office.

      There are only a limited number of residence permits for persons from Switzerland. These are issued by the government.

      Half of the residence permits for persons from the EEA are also issued by the government. The other half of the permits are drawn by lot.

      Residence may also be granted to persons from third countries.

      A distinction is made between, among other things:

      • Residence permit for gainful employment. This is a residence permit for working in Liechtenstein.

      • Residence permit without Gainful employment. With this permit one is not allowed to work in Liechtenstein.

      If a foreign person works in Liechtenstein, he or she cannot automatically reside in Liechtenstein.

      Permanent residence and settlement

      A residence permit is valid for up to 5 years
      (for third country nationals 1 year).
      After 5 years, a person can apply for a permanent residence permit or a settlement permit, depending on their nationality.

      Among other things, a civics test is required for third-country nationals to be granted settlement. The documents and more information about the test can be found here:

      Family reunion

      The purpose of family reunification is to reunite family members.
      They are then allowed to live together in Liechtenstein if the requirements are met.

      Switzerland and EEA

      Persons from the EEA and Switzerland who reside in Liechtenstein may have their family members join them, provided that
      the requirements are fulfilled.

      Family members are considered to be:

      • Husband or wife (registered partnerships are equal to marriages)

      • Children (including foster children) of the person entitled to reside and his or her husband or wife who are under 21 years of age or who can be shown to be dependent on them

      • Parents of the person entitled to stay and his or her husband or wife who can be shown to be dependent.

      Third country

      The family includes the spouse and children under the age of 18
      18 years of age.
      There are various requirements that must be met.

      Attention As a rule, family reunification must be applied for within three years.

      Further requirements and important information can be found here:


      The Aliens and Passport Office is responsible for asylum procedures.
      The asylum procedure is used in Liechtenstein to determine who needs international protection in Liechtenstein.
      A person can apply for asylum:

      • If he or she is persecuted in his or her home country.

      After the Aliens and Passport Office has carried out the procedure, asylum applications are decided by the government.

      During the asylum procedure, needy asylum seekers live in the reception center in Vaduz, or in other accommodations provided by Liechtenstein. The Liechtenstein Refugee Assistance Association is responsible for accommodation and care.

      Different rights and obligations are associated with the granting of asylum.